This marine salinity tester measures saltwater environments' conductivity (EC) to discover the saline content in seawater. It works well for servicing aquariums, industrial settings, fieldwork and food industries that keep live saltwater animals.
What Is the Marine Salinity Waterproof Tester HI98319?
This marine salinity tester from Hanna Instruments is a pocket-size device for measuring seawater's salt content and temperature. Readings appear on a liquid crystal display for easy monitoring. Salinity metrics include parts per thousand (ppt), specific gravity (S.G.) or Practical Salinity Units (PSU). The device also reduces polarization with graphite sensors and won't oxidize, keeping readings reliable and accurate.
Specifications of the Hanna Salinity Tester
Here are a few additional details about the device:
- Salinity values: 0.0 to 70.0 ppt (g/L); 1.000 to 1.041 S.G.; 0.0 to 70.0 PSU
- Temperature range: 0.0 to 50.0°C (32.0 to 122.0°F)
- Resolution: 0.1 ppt (g/L); 0.1 PSU; 0.001 S.G.
- Power: One 3V Lithium-Ion battery / approximately 100 hours of continuous use
- Size: 160 x 40 x 17 mm (6.3 x 1.6 x 0.7 in.)
- Weight: 68 g (2.4 oz) without battery
How Do I Calibrate My HI98319?
For accurate readings, calibrate the device monthly using this procedure:
- Clean the probe with purified water and dry it.
- Press the “CAL” button to enter calibration mode.
- Open a calibration sachet and place it in a container.
- Place the tester in the sachet (some solution may overflow).
- Wait for “REC” message, which shows the solution is stable.
- Continue to wait until the display shows a “Stor” message, indicating that the device accepted the measurement.
- The probe will return to measurement mode automatically — rinse it in purified water and dry it for storage.
Are Digital Salinity Testers Accurate?
This tester provides results within 1 ppt or 1 PSU for solutions with a salinity ranging from 0 to 40 ppt. Solutions over 40 ppt will have accuracy within 2 ppt or 2 PSU. Specific gravity readings have a consistent accuracy within 0.001 S.G.